Thursday, June 16, 2005

The Red Carpet

I just finished reading The Red Carpet, by Lavanya Sankaran.

All short stories in the book are set in Bangalore, and centre around the lives of “ordinary people”. The book itself has received rave reviews, and Lavanya is being touted as the next big author from India.

What did I think of it? Well, I’ll be honest – the author is my aunt. So I picked up the book with an immense sense of pride and familial glee.

But on a more unbiased note, here’s what I think. The spirit of Bangalore has been captured really well. It might seem boring and mundane and overdone to a typical Bangalorean, seeing as they will find nothing new in the content. But to the eyes and imagination of a stranger to Bangalore, she paints a nice, vivid picture. Her characters are very normal, yes, and her situations are very normal too, and that is commendable. It is so difficult to take routine life, and convert it into something other people will be interested in.

However, what I liked best about The Red Carpet, was Lavanya’s writing style. She has an easy, unpretentious flow to the stories, with a pleasing choice of words, and conservative use of flamboyance. Even if she does lack a little bit in originality of content, there’s a natural grace in her language. So if you enjoy words and their patterns, this will certainly charm you.

Lavanya’s contract with the publishers was apparently a two-book deal, so she’s currently working on her next book, a novel. As a family member, I can’t wait for it to hit the stands. As a member of general junta though, I’m only just curious.

|