Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Holiday

We’ve been planning our weddings since we were sixteen, and I can’t believe one is finally happening. Staying three hundred kilometres away, we’ve still managed to shop for clothes, lingerie, make up and gifts, and plan D-day together. We’ve held hands and cried, we’ve hugged and laughed, we’ve jumped around like monkeys.

And now its time for five days of unadulterated fun. There is no feeling more thrilling than watching as your best friend gets married. To the best guy you could have even dreamed of, for her. (Yes, even after all those years of laughing about how as she flees from her wedding, I will be waiting with her sneakers by the door)

So we will pretty our hands with henna, and giggle as the henna lady hides his really long name in the intricate patterns she creates. We will dress and hoot as we see how the lingerie finally looks on her. We will smile secret smiles though the whole ceremony, and collect information for gossip later.

For my part, I will watch with pride and mixed emotions, as she commits to her forever man. I will be mother, sister, best-friend, enemy all rolled into one. And for three days, I will forget my family, as I move in with hers. (But then, we’re like just one family anyway, so it doesn’t really matter)

Scandal: I’m going to stay the first night with them. Ha ha ha. They’re moving in with family the first coupla days, and can’t do much hanky-panky anyway (not that it will be counted as hanky-panky any more, given they’ll be wedded). So rather than mingle with only the old foggies, I’ve been invited to stay over as well. The three of us are going to count all the money they received as gifts – I’m sure there’ll be tons! And then, she, her brand new husband and I will go out drinking to celebrate.

So see you all next week, then.

|